My Articles on Catholic Online
- In Praise of Triumphalism
- Marian Consecration and America's Conversion
- Meditations on Freedom
- Book Review: 'The Family that Overtook Christ' by Fr. M. Raymond
- In Declining Culture, Normalcy has become Evangelism
- Back to the Roots: Examining Maryknoll's Heroic Beginnings
- The Joyful Heart of Mary
- Corpus Christi and a Free Society
- Manliness and Fortitude: Venerable Emmanuel d'Alzon
- Auriesville Pilgrimage for Restoration Mixes Tradition, Vitality
- Father Demetrius Augustine Gallitzin
- Smite Them, O Lord! Traditional Mass for the Defense of the Faith
- The Little Way of an Apostle: Motives and Methods for the Lay Apostolate
- Saint André of Mount Royal, Timely Canonization, Call to Conversion
The Beggar’s Wishlist
I’m a Site5 Affiliate
Categories / Tags
- Administrative Notes (5)
- Announcements (3)
- Apologetics (25)
- Articles Published in Other Venues (44)
- Book Reviews (7)
- Catholic America (14)
- Christology (8)
- Church History (21)
- Ecclesiology (15)
- Family/Personal (5)
- Fr. Leonard Feeney, St. Benedict Center, and Friends (18)
- Grace (8)
- Liturgy (5)
- Lives of the Saints (9)
- Magisterium (6)
- Mariology (8)
- Medical Ethics (4)
- Modernism (7)
- Moral Theology (12)
- Natural Law (2)
- Philosophy (3)
- Revelation (1)
- Sacramental Theology (6)
- Sacred Scripture and Tradition: Sources of Revelation (13)
- Society and Culture (22)
- Spiritual Theology (16)
- The Holy Trinity (4)
- Theology (15)
- Theology in Action (5)
- Trivia (4)
- Uncategorized (7)
- Vatican II (6)
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary for promoting Catholic view on homosexuality
- Anti-Christian prejudice growing in Europe, Vatican official warns OSCE leaders
- Papal preacher delivers first Advent Sermon on St. Francis and the Incarnation
- Moroccan king protests proposed Vatican-Israeli agreement on Jerusalem holy sites
- Imprisoned Chinese bishop invokes Mandela's quest for freedom
- Immaculate Conception: Sunday, not Monday
- Rorate book review: "Crossbows & Crucifixes"
- FIUV PP: The Reception of the Host Alone by the Faithful
- De mortuis nil nisi bonum?...
- Summorum Pontificum: A Hope for the Church
- Beyond Belief: a Neoconservative Reality Show
- 1934 Solesmes' Antiphonale Monasticum now fully available online
- New comprehensive interview by SSPX Superior-General: "I didn't mean to say Pope is a Modernist in theology, but in action".
- 50 years of Sacrosanctum Concilium and what the Council wrought "The Destruction of the Roman Rite"
- Event: Upcoming Pontifical Mass and Traditional Confirmations in Rome - December 8, 2013
- Pope says caring for sick brings 'the smile of God'
- Reforms aim to show 'true face of the Church,' says Vatican official
- Pope: Neglect of human dignity causes 'practical atheism'
- Catholic leaders recall Mandela's complicated legacy
- Pope says early Christians a model for 'digital age' Church
- DC health plans accused of illegally funding abortion
- Jesuit theologian remembered for scholarship, joyfulness
“Ensoulment” is the word which describes the point at which the body of the conceptus is said to be informed by a human soul. (The notion of a living being having “no soul” is a philosophical oxymoron, since the soul is the principle of life in a material being.) There are two basic theories of […]
On September 14, 1952, Pope Pius XII gave an address to the First International Congress on the Histopathology of the Nervous System. On that occasion, the Holy Father discussed the Principle of Totality at length and in the contrasting terms spelled out in this question. The principle itself is the general notion that, since parts […]
September 22, 2007 | 4 Comments
Sometimes the same act causes both a good result and an evil result at the same time. The question for the moralist is “Should such an act be performed?” The answer is that is can be, but only if four conditions are met: First, the act itself must be good or indifferent. Second, the good […]
The natural law tradition as explicated by Saint Thomas Aquinas is foundational for Catholic medical ethics. Here is a very brief description of the Natural Law theory of Thomas Aquinas as it affects that field of moral theology. Included in the description are (a) the historical antecedents of Natural Law, (b) the remote and proximate […]
Hail, Joseph the Just, Hail!
The Holy Patriarch of Nazareth: Patron and Protector of Holy Mother Church
Welcome to my Weblog
This blog began as a repository for academic papers I wrote in pursuit of my Theology degree. They remain, but the site now mirrors some of the content of Saint Benedict Center's web site.
God bless you and may Our Lady watch over you!
- The Liturgical Year - Back in Print!
- Economics Package
- Dictionary of Scholastic Philosophy and Not So Trivial
- Scapular and Garment of Grace Package
- Before the Dawn
- Catholicity & Baptism are Necessary for Salvation
- Downloadable Videos of 2013 Conference
- Crossbows and Crucifixes
- A Book of Angels
- Finding Confidence in Times of Trial
Mystic Monk Coffee Affiliate
Connect with Me on Linkedin
Follow Me on Networked Blogs
Saint Thomas Aquinas’ Prayer Before Study
“Grant me, I beseech Thee, O merciful God, ardently to desire, prudently to study, rightly to understand, and perfectly to fulfill that which is pleasing to thee, to the praise and glory of Thy Name. Amen.”
Support Catholic Education
The Litany of Saint JosephLord, have mercy on us. Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, hear us. Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven, Have mercy on us.
God, the Son, Redeemer of the world, Have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost, Have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, Have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, Pray for us.
Saint Joseph, Etc.
Renowned offspring of David,
Light of Patriarchs,
Spouse of the Mother of God,
Chaste guardian of the Virgin,
Foster Father of the Son of God,
Diligent protector of Christ,
Head of the Holy Family,
Joseph, most just,
Joseph, most chaste,
Joseph, most prudent,
Joseph, most strong,
Joseph, most obedient,
Joseph, most faithful,
Mirror of patience,
Lover of poverty,
Model of Artisans,
Glory of home life,
Guardian of virgins,
Pillar of families,
Solace of the afflicted,
Hope of the sick,
Patron of the dying,
Terror of demons,
Protector of Holy Church,
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Have mercy on us.
V. He made him the lord of His household.
R. And prince over all His possessions.
Let us pray.
O God, who in Thy ineffable providence didst vouchsafe to choose blessed Joseph to be the spouse of Thy Most holy Mother, grant, we beseech Thee, that we may have for our advocate in heaven him whom we venerate as our protector on earth. Who livest and reignest world without end.
DisclaimerLinks from this blog do not constitute endorsements of the editorial policies of the linked web sites. I link to them because I find them informative and useful. This includes, but is not limited to, RSS feeds from news and other informational sites, some of which a) advance ideas at variance with Catholic doctrine, or b) endorse political candidates, which is NOT something I do on the blog.
- Steve Mulligan on Father Wilfredo Comellas, My Good Friend, RIP
- Mr Anne Louis Cammenga, Director Information Centre Second World War (IWOII) on Father Wilfredo Comellas, My Good Friend, RIP
- Brother André Marie, M.I.C.M. on The Council of Trent: Overview of its Importance and Difficulties
- Brian on The Council of Trent: Overview of its Importance and Difficulties
- Joel Kurtzhalts on The Status of Father Feeney’s Doctrinal Position
- The Journey of Joseph Pearce Eleonore Villarrubia
- 4 Years for a Drug Conviction and She Loves Our Lady of Guadalupe Brian Kelly
- Good to See Notre Dame Is Taking a Stand Brian Kelly
- Utah Considers Cutting Water Supply to Massive NSA Complex Brian Kelly
- Taiwan: 200,000 Protest Proposed Law Allowing Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ Brian Kelly
- Obama Determined to Shove His ‘Healthcare’ Down Nation’s Throat Brian Kelly
- ACLU Files Lawsuit Against US Bishops Over Abortion Brian Kelly
- English Song Writer and Composer William Byrd, Recusant Catholic Brian Kelly
- Islamist Terrorists Kidnap Twelve Orthodox Nuns Brian Kelly
- ‘Catholic’ School Bars Priest From Teaching Catholic Morals Brian Kelly
- Evangelii Gaudium – Pope Francis talks of the Way of Beauty
- How the Ancient Sarum Rite Formed the Art and Architecture of a Tiny Country Church in Devon, England
- Audio of Talk Given In New York City: the Formation of the Catholic Artist
- An Ordinary Street in the London Suburb of Hanwell
- The Old Library, Nashua, New Hampshire and the Richmond Court Apartments, Brookline, Massachusetts
- How the Domestic Church Preserved the Faith in Soviet Russia
- Learn Traditional English Style of the 13th Century – Sacred Art Painting Class to Take Place at TMC in March
- Masterpieces of Gregorian Chant / "Populus Sion"
- The Federalist Option of the Bishop of Rome
- Masterpieces of Gregorian Chant / "Ad te levavi"<br />
- Masterpieces of Gregorian Chant / A New Release in Six Tracks
- The "Pastoral Rule" of Francis
- Vatican Diary / The "Bergoglio effect" on the bishops of Italy and Spain
- Even the Pope Critiques Himself. And Corrects Three Errors
- Vatican Diary / In the United States everybody with Francis, rightly or wrongly
- Against Gay Marriage, General Bergoglio Sent the Nuns in to Fight
- A Synod As Francis Commands
- 200,000 Protest Aberromarriage in Taiwan
- Attack Against Franciscans of the Immaculate Because "Crypto-Lefebvrian, Anyways Traditional"
- Egypt's Most Famous Convert Imprisoned Again -- Because of "Proselytism"
- Will The Dismissal of Cardinal Cañizares be Announced Today? -- Change of Direction
- "Absolute War" Against the Franciscans of the Immaculata? The Unspeakable "Blemish"
- Tolkien and Faerie
- Pharmacist Dismissed Because She Refused to Sell the "Morning After Pill" in France